Saturday, June 19, 2010

Mighty even unto power of deliverance

my ward is doing a Book of Mormon reading challenge this summer- we are all working to complete the Book of Mormon entirely between June 6 and September 30. I haven't read straight through the Book of Mormon for a while, so I am excited to do this.

One of my favorite scriptures in the Book of Mormon is in the first chapter, the last verse in 1 Nephi 1. I feel that it is a bookend to accompany the oft-quoted Moroni 10:4-5, which is the concluding testimony and invitation to seek testimony of the Book of Mormon. My verse is 1 Nephi 1:20, where Nephi writes:

But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.


I love this scripture. I have a list of scriptures that explain reasons to read the Book of Mormon, and this is one of the first ones on the list. So, this time through the Book of Mormon, I am specifically looking for stories that expound on this scripture- stories where the Lord showers tender mercies on those who are mighty because of their faith. Some of them will make their way onto the blog.

How does the Lord shower His tender mercies on you?

1 comment:

Danielle said...

What a paradox that by receiving tender mercy we become mighty. My biggest tender mercy right now is named Rebecca.