Friday, May 16, 2008

Musical groups and the crazy things they do

Last night I went to my sister Lois' last high school band concert. At our high school, the final concert of the year is known as Band Spectacular, and usually there's some kind of honoring of the seniors that goes on, as well as the acting out of a skit in between the musical numbers. Sitting there listening to the music and watching the high school students be silly brought to mind my own band spectacular, many years ago. I remembered a lot of things that I hadn't thought of for a long time. For example:

The theme that we chose was a "West Side Story" idea, where the woodwinds made up one gang, and the the brass made up the other. The percussion players were policemen. Since our bandroom was on the south side of the high school, we called it "South Side Story."

I got to play the role of one of the star-crossed lovers (I am, after all, Maria), and my partner in crime went by the name of Number 1 in the skit.

During the whole production, my friend Ashleigh, who was not in the band, sat at a nicely arranged little table in the corner of the stage and ate spaghetti. She was on the program as "Spaghetti eater."

There was, of course a balcony scene where Number 1 came and professed his love for me. The way things worked out, my balcony was right next to Ashleigh's table, so it looked like she was eating spaghetti in my house.

And, completely irrelevantly, two of the boys in the band later (much later) married two of my college roommates. We none of us had any inkling of this at the time.

I'm hoping I can find the script of this event somewhere in my files, as well as the almost-complete videorecording of it. If I success at this and figure out how to convert the video to a digital format, I'll post the funniest bits here. It mostly just has nostalgic value, but there was one scene in particular that I am quite proud of.

Yay for silly high school traditions that make me nostalgic!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

That is one skit I would love to see. Maybe you could reenact it for me. And, if you are digging through old movies, if you happen to find one of Adam saying things about me... I would LOVE it!!!

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

I remember that skit! I was so proud to be the only non-senior to have a speaking part in it. I delivered those two words very well, I might add! Good times, good times!