Thursday, July 3, 2008

The end of an era


I've had a lot of roommates since I started college. And when I say a lot, I mean a lot. As of July 2008, I have lived with 55 girls over my seven years of college. I know what you're thinking. Anyone can rack up that many roommates over that much time, right? But let's break it down. 55 divided by 7 is 7.8 roommates per year, which is still a pretty high number. Chalk it up to the fact that I move a lot.

There have been a lot of great roommates among those 55. There have also been some that I could take or leave, and a handful that I am very, very glad to not be living with any more. But even among the best ones, I never lived with anyone for more than twelve months until the last two years.

Two years ago, I moved to my current apartment complex completely blind. I moved in with five other girls that I'd never met before. Among them was Heather. I wouldn't say that we immediately struck off as great friends, but as we got to know each other, I began to value her friendship and opinion and sense of humor and advice more than just about anyone else. When all the rest of our roommates got married or got jobs at the end of the year, we moved to a new apartment together and had another great year of being roommates.

All good things must end, of course, and thus has my tenure as Heather's roommate ended. It's for a wonderful reason- she got married last weekend to a wonderful guy. It was a great thing, especially from my perspecitve, because he's one of my good friends. In fact the three of us together formed what we affectionately referred to as the Triumvirate, meaning that we're pretty tight. We're looking to expand to a Quadrumvirate, so that I don't have to be a third wheel.

As I was about to leave their wedding reception, I discovered that I didn't want to. Leaving the reception meant that the Age of Heather and Maria was officially over, and a new era would begin. It hurt my heart a little bit. This new era will be good, I'm sure, but I'm not used to it yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wowie wow wow! That is a lot of roommates...and I love the breakdown to 7.8. Wonder who that .8 person was...

Oh, and I must say that I find it TERRIBLY amusing that you used the West Side Story song for your blog address. Of course it is terribly appropriate but I remember a time when I drove you mad singing it.

But now I can keep up on things...it's been far too long Maria!