Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Beauty

When I wake up in the morning, often the first thing I do is pull back the curtain a crack and peek out at the back yard. I am still in love with the fact that I have a back yard . . . hooray! And every day it grows more beautiful. It was pretty in the winter when it was all covered in snow. It was pretty in an anticipatory kind of way when March rolled around and the snow melted and the expectation of spring was there. It was pretty when the first leaves of the oak tree started peeking out.

And then it suddenly turned a verdant green, with the grass and the periwinkles and the growing leaves. And now it is beautiful. Every morning when I stare out the window I wonder if it was that green the day before or if my eyes are playing tricks on me.

I was sadder than sad when the magnolias stopped blooming for the spring, but I was delightfully surprised when all the flowering cherries suddenly appeared in their pink, frothy splendor. I had forgotten that they bloom so late after the magnolias . . . bless all the people along my drive to work who have flowering cherries in their yards. They make my heart sing.

I am so grateful to live in a world with so much beauty.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Me too. And the magnolia tree even being mentioned reminds me of Nauvoo and you.