Monday, March 9, 2009

The Nerd Badge

I went to an in-house symposium today about bioterrorism. And it reminded me that it really does make sense why I have to wear an ID badge at work- and use it to open doors. You know that scene from "The Incredibles" where Elastigirl follows the security men around and they have little key cards? That's me at work. Except I don't wear an ugly uniform with a weird visor- just a purple lab coat. But the need to use my ID badge to open doors does make me feel a little bit like I work in a high-security prison. Heh.
Oh- I guess I should add that we do not deal with bioterrorism directly at work. But we do get samples from all kinds of sick people from all over the country, full of nasty infectious disease that we'd rather keep in-house. I must say, I'm glad I don't work in parasitology or the fecal matter lab. It's got to take an interesting personality to do that one, I think.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I'm glad you don't work in the fecal matter lab either! That makes me remember once when I was getting a pregnancy blood test at the student health center, and the lab person was explaining to this older couple (missionaries) how to send a bowel sample throught the mail (in this toilet paper tube looking container). I was trying not to laugh my head off. I am so mature.